Monday, August 13, 2007

Global Warming - Three Ways to be Part of the Solution

This is something I would not normally do but I am going to allow myself to rant, just a sentence or two, just to relieve some of the pressure I'm feeling. Okay, here I go.

Global Warming is real, the decline of our natural environment is real, industrialized society needs to step up and take it's share of the blame. What really gets me going are the Anti-Global Warming, Global Warming is hoax websites that perpetuate our problems and coddle the big businesses who are creating the majority of our greenhouse gases.

Alrighty then, I feel better...if you agree with me I hope you feel better, too. If not, I certainly invite your comments. Now on to a few words about solving the crisis instead of ignoring it.

Leonardo De Caprio currently stands on the forefront of this issue
with his new narrative documentary, "The 11th Hour". One reviewer says that the scientists and thinkers steal the spotlight from the charismatic actor. He becomes the narrator and not the focus. The most inspiring take on our situation in the movie comes from Paul Hawking, "What an exciting time to be alive. All human systems are so bankrupt that they all need to be redesigned if we are to survive. How fun!"

The movie debuts this weekend in Los Angeles and New York. It will open in a growing list of cities during the subsequent weeks. Go to http://wip.warnerbros.com/11thhour/ for a complete list and to view the trailer.

Recently, while surfing through blogs and discussions, someone (I wish I could remember who because I'd give them credit here) suggested the website, http://myabodo.com/. It's a fun tool that is almost like a game. With myabodo you build your own house, making decisions about energy, the kind of car you drive and how you will acquire food for your family. With each decision it shows you the impact you are making on the environment. When you are finished you can join an abodo neighborhood and start making some "real" changes in your "brick and mortar" abode.

The third recommendation I have is for each of us to accept Al Gore's Global Warming Challenge. The pledge consists of seven points that if pushed for and implemented by the world's people could change the tide of our future very quickly. Here it is:

1. To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next two years that cuts global warming pollution by 90 per cent in developed countries and by more than half worldwide for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth.

2. To take personal action to help solve the climate crises by reducing my own CO2 pollution.

3. To fight for moratorium on construction of any new facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2.

4. To work for a dramatic increase in energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school and transportation.

5. To fight for laws and policies that expand use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal.

6. To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests.

7. To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment.

I took the pledge by email but that's not necessary. Print it, cut it out, and paste it to your bathroom mirror, corner of your computer screen, anywhere so that you are reminded to follow through. If you feel you can't do all of them, then cut out the few you can and concentrate on those.

Every bit helps and this is one area where momentum matters. Playing with abodo and watching The 11th Hour may sound more like entertainment than activism but that is how it starts. If we begin to play with the concepts and think about innovative ways to make a difference before long we will find ourselves effortlessly living the changes.

13 comments:

LiteraryMinded said...

I hadn't heard about '11th Hour' yet. Thanks for the information :-) I'm from Australia, the 'other' country who has not signed Kyoto
Angela

Lisa McGlaun said...

It's a dubious honor isn't it, Angela? In the US I'm hoping new leadership will make the difference and the environment will become a priority over profit at all costs.

Thanks for the comment. I'd love to go to Australia someday. There are still so many places I want to visit...:)

agreenearth said...

Thanks for sharing `My Abodo', it is a fantastic game.

La delirante said...

Hi! I have just watched "An inconveninet truth" and it is really shocking and worrying. I would like to see the "11th Hour". I hadn't heard about it. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree that global warming is a very real and serious issue. World and country leaders are just not doing enough because politics get in the way. People are not doing enough because convenience gets in the way. Look at the floods in Asia (and elsewhere) - this is not normal and if its not a wake-up call, I don't know what is.
Ps: haven't seen 11th hour yet - will put on my list.

Bob Johnson said...

Totally agree with what you are saying!, watched and loved an inconvenient truth. Thanks for the info bout the 11th. hour.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I can't believe that my city is not on the list for The 11th Hour. I'm hoping it will be a huge hit and Warner Brothers will add more venues. If you are near one and see it, let me know what you thought.

Simon said...

I would accept Challenge #6. Planting new trees is something I can definitely do.

Anonymous said...

Ms. McGlaun... You're as phoney as your beloved Al Gore... People like you have no problem telling the rest of the world how it is being destroyed by all us polluting consumers... While you choose to live on the outskirts of Las Vegas... a city catering to all the overindulgences of the worst elements of human kind to include being one of the largest consumers of electricity in the world (lights on 24-7-365!) and then you drive your family around in an SUV that gets what 16 mpg? Get your own life priorities in order before you "rant" to the rest of us about what's being done to the environment!

Lisa McGlaun said...

Hello my lovely ex-husband who lives outside Huntsville, AL. (aka, anonymous)

I wish you all the best and hope that you are happy in your large new house. Please tell your parents I said hello. I still miss them and your mother's wonderful cooking.

It warms my heart that you enjoy reading my blog. Every reader is welcome, even those who have axes to grind. It's okay if you sign your name next time.

Peace,
Lisa

Lisa McGlaun said...

Neo,
Planting a tree would be an excellent idea. I miss the big shade trees of my hometown. Not to many of them where I live now.

Anonymous said...

11th Hour is showing here in Seattle - I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't heard about it yet.

Thanks for a informative and encouraging post. If our environment is going to be supported and healed... it is going to be one person at a time.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Janece,

I totally agree. We each do what we can, one step at a time. I'm looking forward to the movie, too. I hope it is well received.

Lisa