Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Maria Shriver - Woman of Substance

Maria Shriver, daughter of Eunice Kennedy and Sargent Shriver, knows what it means to strike out on her own and succeed in the electrically charged world of journalism. She knows what it’s like to be the daughter of famous parents, a member of one of the most well known families in our country and the pitfalls that come with instant recognition.

She learned from her parents about community service and the value of giving back to society. Her mother is the cofounder of the Special Olympics which showcases the athletic talents of special needs children. Maria is the author of five best-selling books, three of which are designed to lovingly teach children a concept of character or compassion.

She is the mother of four children and last but not least, the First Lady of California since her husband of many years is Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Governor of California. Maria is grounded and unpretentious and I believe if I moved into her neighborhood she’d lend me a cup of sugar with a smile. Having accomplished so much in her career and her personal life, Maria Shriver is a woman that young girls can look up to.

Recently she was quoted as saying this about real power, “I now understand that true power has very little to do with what’s on your resume. It’s about being true to yourself and finding your own voice and path in the world.”

And this about motherhood, “Motherhood is another tremendous source of power for women. For many in my generation there was heavy emphasis on being a super mom and purducing super kids. But I’m not sure that enough respect and attention has been paid along the way to some of the simple acts traditionally associated with being a woman. – the nurturing, the gentleness, the listening and the comforting. I think bringing into this world a child that feels loved, who feels safe, and who feels centered is the most powerful act of all.”

As a young woman, I remember watching Maria Shriver on various new shows and how my mother would comment on her beauty. I remember thinking.. yeah but, she has the smarts and insights to back it up. I want to be like that. She is exactly ten years older than I am. Sharing a birthday fueled my fascination with her. I’ve followed her life and career, watching her mature and grow, using her accomplishments as inspiration for the kind of person I might be ten years from now. It gives me hope about my prospecttive self the age of 51.

To know more about the causes she champions visit the website she maintains as the First Lady of California. If you live in her state there are exciting projects to get involved with and a Women’s Conference with a live web cast on 10/23.

5 comments:

Bob Johnson said...

Very inspirational woman and post. Boy one of her daughters sure looks like Arnold.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Bob,

I know! I looked at alot of photos before I chose that one. I think so, too.

I'd love to meet her someday. Maybe it will happen.

Peace,
Lisa

MYM said...

Great post. She does seem like a woman of substance - it's nice to see that rather than some of the nonsense we hear about famous women.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Drowsey,

I think she'd be an interesting person to meet, not just because of her family background but because of all she's done with her life.

Best Wishes,
Lisa

Wordshinobi.Org said...

Dear Maria and Arnold,

I want you to know that after suffering the loss of my Aunt Lorraine Morrison last week in MD due to heart and digestive failure I had to admit my Mom, Marena Pryor Hamilton to the hospital for observation and treatment due to her frail demeanor. I am not happy for the loss of Eunice. I am deeply sorrowed in my spirit that another great person who could see beyond her own importance and give a happiness to those who suffer long and hard her gift of love. I have already written RFK Jr. at his Wordpress site, but I am deeply concerned and worried that one by one the greats and their predecessors are but a few, and that the road to freedom for all may be greatly challenged by the loss of people like E.K.S.

Just remember that in the words of Jesus she is not dead, but at rest until he awakens her again. May we all be there at that awakening.

D.E.H.