Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Story of Stuff



Ever wonder how we became a nation of consumers? Annie Leonard lays it all out in her fun and informative video, The Story of Stuff.

If you are like me, by the end you will be scratching your head and looking for ways to cut back on how much you buy. I really just wanted to shred my credit card and go on a no buying binge. I began to wonder if there is anything that I really need...besides food, shelter, and water. Do I really need the latest Counting Crows CD? Or that new plastic lawn furniture? I will never look at a discount or big box store the same way again.

For the first time, I saw how consumerism works from the beginning of the cycle (but it's not really a cycle but linear where we always need more raw materials to produce the disposable goods) to the end - me and my stuff. It's scary how fast we are using up, polluting, and contaminating our planet.

The website gives practical tips to curbing our buying habits and helping our planet. Watch it today. You'll be glad you did. It's a real eye opener. Thanks to my wonderful husband, Todd, for finding The Story of Stuff so I could share it with all of you here.

8 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

Lisa many of us fell under grand scheme of marketing by large corporations. It almost feels like we need tool for each single activity, lol. I am glad that I am not materialistic, I hate shopping and I hate stuff, lol, and my life is much better without it, I just like to have what I need. BTW come and visit my blog to meet my baby Matthew if you can. Hope all is well, and again thanks for always good stuff, non material, lol. Anna :)

Lisa McGlaun said...

Anna,

I saw the pictures of Matthew...all I can say is AWWWWWW! He's beautiful. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

Thanks for being such a good blog friend and letting me know about your news.

Hugs,
Lisa

Martin MY said...

You have my ideals laid out beofore my very eyes. thought I was the author for one moment!

Good on you to do something about being controlled! No one else will!

Bravo:)

Bob Johnson said...

Excellent video Lisa!!

Anonymous said...

One of the easiest ways for me to curb my buying was moving to a small town where there aren't a lot of shopping opportunities. I do still binge once a year when I get to a big city :)

Dagny
www.onnotextiles.com
organic apparel

Lisa McGlaun said...

Martin,

I'm definately trying to cut back on my buying.

Thanks for the comment,
Lisa

Lisa McGlaun said...

Thanks Bob! Great to see a comment from you. Happy one year blogging anniversary, by the way!

Best Wishes,
Lisa

Lisa McGlaun said...

Dagny,

I would LOVE to move to a small town for just that reason. I needed a slower paced life.

Peace,
Lisa